Editing !

The Editing !





The editing potion of the film will be mainly done by me because I cannot be with Ricardo and Joel for the first half of the time since I live far from the both of them and they live 2 minutes away from each other, so the most I can contribute would be doing most of the editing, but my group mates were great help along the process by giving me more information about how to edit because they did the editing really well for a previous sound project. The main character of our film will only be one person named Carson ( played by Joel ) this is a picture of him which we can see him looking like a scared child.



This is a picture of me editing in class while Ricardo and Joel gives me tips and tricks on how to edit with iMovie.

For the beginning of the film we implicated diegetic sound as we recorded the video with the microphone I've kept months ago, As expected the beginning was very complicated because I was a first time editor and I was trying to maneuver around the app and learning the basics like how to cut, paste and upload a video but after a little research on youtube I was able to get a hang of it and began to mash up some non-diegetic sounds so we can have a more interesting film because as we know most professional opening clips have a lot of non-diegetic sound to hook the audience.


This part of editing I played around with many transitions like continuity editing, I wanted our opening scene to be able to flow slowly because this movie is aiming towards teenagers being depressed and having bad anxiety so by having logical coherence of time and space between shots will definitely be a cherry on top ! As suggested by Joel we can also use elliptical editing one time as a transition of Joel getting dressed from his bathroom back to his room, then he will grab his bag and go downstairs this kind of jump cut will help catch the audience's attention because it will certainly not be used frequently. I also utilized some fade in and fade outs so that our film looks less choppy, we will fade in as he jolts awake in the morning by the sound of his alarm clock then fade out when he's in the car ride to school to show the transition of him changing settings. Since we haven't finish recording the whole thing yet we certainly have not finished editing but in the next blog post I will continue through this wonderful journey.

We encountered many problems especially since we can't work together in person after school hours and Ricardo had a really hard time sending files / videos to me because his laptop is broken but Joel was able to solve it last second by transferring it into his laptop and then back to me again. We also realized that sometimes the transitions looked really choppy together because I was a first time editor and I kept throwing in all these crazy transitions that just looked unfit together. But at last I was able to get myself together and deleted all the random things I did and made it so much better by itself.



Comments

Popular Posts